Review the patient enrollment process and download the necessary forms.
WITH SETTING GOALS
Get information on prognostic evaluation and risk assessment for your patients with PAH by using the 2015 ESC/ERS Guidelines for every office visit.2
ERS=European Respiratory Society
ESC=European Society of Cardiology
SUPPORT EVERY STEP OF THE WAY
With the Aim Patient Support Program, your Adempas patients are covered every step of the way. Here, you can find all of the resources for your patients on their journey. The Aim Patient Support Program is comprised of 3 components: myAim Education and Encouragement, nursing support, and access and financial support.
REAL PATIENTS WITH REAL STORIES
Throughout treatment, it is important that your PAH and CTEPH patients know they are not alone and can connect with people who are living with their conditions. Read about different patient experiences and become more aware about the struggles of their everyday lives and how Adempas can help.
Welcome to the Adempas® website
Adempas® (riociguat) is a soluble guanylate cyclase (sGC) stimulator, the first member of a distinct class of compounds, discovered and developed by Bayer as an oral treatment to target a key molecular mechanism underlying pulmonary hypertension (PH).1,2
Riociguat is approved to treat different types of PH in adults with:
inoperable chronic thromboembolic pulmonary hypertension (CTEPH)
persistent or recurrent CTEPH after surgery to improve exercise capacity
pulmonary arterial hypertension (PAH with WHO functional class II to III, to improve exercise capacity), idiopathic or PAH associated with connective tissue diseases.1-3
It is the first drug demonstrating robust and sustained clinical efficacy in two separate PH groups.1,2,11-14
PH is a severe, progressive, and life-threatening disorder of the lungs and heart characterized by elevated blood pressure in the pulmonary arteries, which can lead to right heart failure and death if left untreated.6,7 There are five types of PH; each can affect the patient in a different way and every patient may have a different etiology of PH.8-10
Adempas® has a dual mode of action – directly stimulating sGC independently of endogenous nitric oxide (NO) and also facilitating the binding of any remaining endogenous NO to sGC .1,2,15 Patients with CTEPH and PAH are often nitric oxide deficient; this results in sGC being under-stimulated and is associated with a poor prognosis.16-18 For patients with CTEPH and PAH, sGC stimulation is fundamental for providing treatment success and helping to regulate vascular tone, proliferation and inflammation.16-18
Disclaimer: Please refer to your country’s specific Adempas® label and prescribing information, as they can differ from the Adempas® Expanded Company Core Data Sheet used to reference this global website.
- Ghofrani HA et al. Future Cardiol. 2010;6:155–66. Return to content
- Grimminger F et al. Eur Respir J. 2009;33:785–92. Return to content
- Ghofrani HA et al. N Engl J Med. 2013;369:319–29. Return to content
- Ghofrani HA et al. N Engl J Med. 2013;369:330–40. Return to content
- Bayer AG. Adempas® Expanded Company Core Data Sheet (Version 05). May 2017. Return to content
- Rosenkranz S. Clin Res Cardiol. 2007;96:527–41. Return to content
- Macchia A et al. Am Heart J. 2007;153:1037–47. Return to content
- Galiè N et al. Eur Heart J 2016;37:67–119. Return to content
- Ali JM et al. Hosp Pract (1995). 2012;40:71–9. Return to content
- Armstrong I et al. BMJ Open. 2012;2:e000806. Return to content
- Halank M et al. Respir Med 2017;128:50–6. Return to content
- Simonneau G et al. Eur Respir J 2015;45:1293–1302. Return to content
- Simonneau G et al. Lancet Respir Med 2016;4:372–80. Return to content
- Ghofrani HA et al. Lancet Respir Med 2016;4:361–71. Return to content
- Simmoneau G et al. ERJ Express. Published on-line ahead of print, November 13, 2014 Return to content
- Kielstein JT et al. Arterioscler Thromb Vasc Biol 2005; 25: 1414-18. Return to content
- Skoro-sajer N et al. Am J Respir Crit Care Med 2007; 176: 1154-60. Return to content
- Stasch J-P et al. Circulation 2011; 123: 2263-73. Return to content
- Adempas Prescribing Information. Whippany, NJ. Bayer Pharmaceuticals Inc., 2021.
- Galiè N, Humbert M, Vachiery JL, et al. 2015 ESC/ERS Guidelines for the diagnosis and treatment of pulmonary hypertension. Eur Heart J. 2016;37(1):67-119.